The purpose of the Ministry of Education (MOE) Taiwan Scholarship is to encourage outstanding American students and individuals to pursue degree programs in the Republic of China (Taiwan).
The MOE provides each recipient of the MOE Taiwan Scholarship with the following:
1. Tuition and fees: Upon validation of tuition and fees, the MOE will pay up to 40,000 New Taiwan Dollar (NTD) each semester for each recipient. Should the total amount of tuition and fees exceed 40,000 NTD, the remainder of all costs shall be covered by the recipient. Tuition and fees do not include any of the following: administration fees, thesis advising fees, insurance premiums, accommodation, or internet access, all of which must be paid by the recipients.
2. Subsistence allowance: The MOE will provide each recipient undertaking undergraduate studies with a monthly stipend of 15,000 NTD; it will provide each recipient undertaking postgraduate studies with a monthly stipend of 20,000 NTD.
There are seven (7) openings available for the MOE Taiwan Scholarship 2020-2021. Eligible applicants from Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas are welcome to submit applications.
Scholarship Duration and Limits
1. The maximum scholarship duration for each degree level for each recipient is as follows:
(1) Four (4) years for bachelor’s degree programs
(2) Two (2) years for master’s degree programs
(3) Four (4) years for doctoral programs
2. The total length of the scholarship duration for each recipient is limited to five (5) years in a combination of different degree levels.
3. The scholarship award period for each academic year is from September 1 to August 31 of the following year.
1. Applicants must be American nationals with a high-school diploma or post-secondary degree(s), have excellent academic records and be of good moral character.
2. Applicants are ineligible if they meet any of the following restrictions:
(1) overseas Chinese students or nationals of the Republic of China (Taiwan);
(2) students who are currently registered or have obtained student status at any universities/colleges in Taiwan (graduating students pursuing further studies are exempt from this rule);
(3) students who have studied in Taiwan for the same level of degree program as the one they intend to enroll;
(4) exchange or dual/joint degree students admitted in accordance with academic cooperation agreements between local universities/colleges and foreign universities/colleges;
(5) individuals who have been recipients of the MOE Taiwan Scholarship for over a total of five (5) years;
(6) individuals who have, in the past, had their MOE Taiwan Scholarship or MOE Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) revoked;
(7) recipients of any other scholarship or subsidy funded by the Taiwan government or educational institutions in Taiwan. However, this does not include preferential prices offered by universities/colleges to cover tuition and other fees exceeding this scholarship limit.
(8) Holders of the Alien Permanent Resident Certificate of the Republic of China (Taiwan).
3. Applicants should apply directly for admission within the application periods specified by each university/college.
1. Required documents:
(1) A completed Taiwan Scholarship Application Form 2021-2022;
(2) A copy of the applicant’s passport or other documents that can verify the nationality of the applicant;
(3) A copy of the certificate of the applicant’s highest degree obtained;
(4) Original academic transcripts (sealed) from the institution that the applicant obtained his/her highest degree;
(5) Proof of application for admission to universities/colleges in Taiwan (e.g. photocopies of application form(s), etc.) *The name of the school(s) and degree program(s) must be specified in those documents;
(6) A copy of the Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language (TOCFL) certificate of Level 3 or above. All-English taught programs applicants may be exempt from this requirement;
(7) Two letters of recommendation from school principals, professors, academic counselors, or supervisors;
(8) Statement of Purpose; and
(9) Terms of Agreement for the Ministry of Education Taiwan Scholarship Program (signed and dated by the applicant).
Note: The required documents will NOT be returned to applicants.
2. Submission (*Late applications will NOT be considered for the selection):
(1) Applications must be submitted between February 1 and March 31, 2021.
(2) Application packages must be addressed to the following office and postmarked no later than March 31, 2021:
Education Division of TECO in Houston
Attn: Taiwan Scholarship
11 Greenway Plaza, Suite 2012
Houston, TX 77046, U.S.A.
(3) All MOE Taiwan Scholarship applicants will be notified by May 31, 2021 and selected candidates must submit only one copy of an admission letter issued by one university/college to the e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, by June 30, 2021.
1. Recipients’ academic goals should reflect an interest in the development of the industry, economy, and education of Taiwan.
2. Recipients should possess an outstanding undergraduate or postgraduate Grade Point Average (GPA).
3. Priority will be given to applicants with a TOCFL certificate of Level 3 or above.
4. Applications must be completed with all the required documents attached. Incomplete applications or those missing required documents will be withdrawn from the selection process without further notice to the applicants.
5. Interviews with qualified candidates in person or via internet/telephone may be required for the final selection process.
1. The application instructions and guidelines are given in Chinese and English and, in the event of any discrepancy, the Chinese version will take precedence over the English text.
2. For other details on the regulations for the MOE Taiwan Scholarship, please refer to the Taiwan Scholarship Program Directions, which can be downloaded at https://taiwanscholarship.moe.gov.tw/web/scholarship.aspx
3. For a list of universities/colleges that may give Taiwan Scholarship recipients a discount for tuition and/or miscellaneous expenses for MOE Taiwan Scholarship Recipients, please also refer to the above website, under Taiwan Scholarship and MOE Operating Guidelines Related Accessories.
4. For more information on the Taiwan University and Program, please visit https://www.studyintaiwan.org/university
5. Program Contact
Education Division of Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Houston
11 Greenway Plaza, Suite 2012
Houston, TX 77046, U.S.A.