Established in 1931 as a prominent national university in Tainan city of Taiwan, NCKU has been ranked #22 for Engineering subject (U.S. News-Education) and #51–100 for Engineering-Mechanical subject (QS) in global universities. The Department of Mechanical Engineering at NCKU invites applications for five tenure-track faculty positions (assistant, associate, or full professor). Appointments are to commence on Feb. 1, 2019. Applications are welcome from individuals with research experience in the traditional areas of mechanical engineering: thermo-fluids, solid mechanics, mechanical design, manufacturing technologies and material sciences, and control engineering; but preference will be given to the following areas: green energy engineering, intelligent machines, photonics/semiconductors and nanotechnology, advanced manufacturing (e.g. additive manufacturing and micro/nano-manufacturing), robotics and artificial intelligence, bioengineering, and mechanical engineering related fields or interdisciplinary fields.
Ideas and experience in innovative teaching will be an asset, while a strong research track record commensurate with the rank of appointment is essential. The successful candidates will be required to teach and supervise students at both undergraduate and graduate levels, and establish a strong, externally-funded research program. Candidates must have a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or a closely-related field. Candidates should have a demonstrated track record of technical, academic (excellence, or promise of excellence, in teaching and scholarly research) and professional achievement appropriate to the level of their appointment. Eligible, successful applicants will be assisted in the application of a bonus award offered by the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST), Taiwan. Preference will be given to those applicants who have received grant or award from the MOST Einstein Columbus Ta-You Wu Memorial Award.
If interested, a complete application should include:
1. A cover letter clearly indicating the rank for which the candidate wishes to be considered;
2. A detailed curriculum vita highlighting career achievements, areas of research, teaching experience, list of publications and awards/honors, as well as research grants and students supervised (the last two items are especially important for the Associate or Full Professor position);
3. Three reference letters (or sent by referee via regular mail or e-mail in PDF format to Chairman of the Search Committee);
4. A copy of doctoral degree certificate, or a letter stating the expected graduation date with the signature of the applicant’s thesis advisor;
5. Transcripts or academic records of both undergraduate and graduate studies (optional for applicants of Full professor position);
6. A statement of teaching interests with course outlines;
7. A statement of research plans detailing the intended projects to be pursued, envisioned resources, and external funding ideas to allow executing the research plans (maximum 3 pages).
8. Other materials that help demonstrate the applicant’s accomplishments (such as certificates of awards, patents, etc.)
Complete application must be received before Aug. 31, 2018, by regular mail at the address below.
Professor Chao-Chieh Lan
Department of Mechanical Engineering
National Cheng Kung University
Tainan, Taiwan 70101
Phone: 886-6-2757575 ext. 62274
The application package should also be emailed using separate PDF files to Professor Chao-Chieh Lan, Chairman of the Search Committee (E-mail: email@example.com)