The Education Division of the Taipei Economic and Culture Office (TECO) in Houston will administer the 2014 Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language (TOCFL) on Saturday, March 29, 2014 at Culture Center of Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Houston (10303 Westoffice Drive, Houston / phone: 713.789.4995).
TOCFL, originally known as TOP (Test of Proficiency-Huayu), is intended for those that wish to measure their Chinese proficiency, and is available in both traditional and simplified character versions. In 2014, the level of the TOCFL has been reformed in order to correspond to the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment). The new version of the TOCFL has three proficiency bands: Band A, Band B, and Band C. Each of the bands has two levels. Examinees are not required to write Chinese characters while taking the test, all answers are to be marked on the Answer Sheet with a 2B pencil. Please see http://www.sc-top.org.tw for the mock-test.
Examinees who pass the test will receive a Chinese Proficiency Certificate as a credential for the followings:
1. Becoming eligible for the “Taiwan Scholarship” and “Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship” sponsored by government for studying in Taiwan.
2. Qualifying for admission to the academic programs at colleges or universities in Taiwan.
3. Serving as a job-required proof of Chinese language proficiency for individuals who wish to obtain Chinese-inclusive, bilingual employment globally .
4. Providing an incentive to those who are interested in learning Chinese
Registration is accepted from January 24 to February 23, 2014. The registration form can be submitted by mail or on site at the following address:
Education Division, TECO in Houston
11 Greenway Plaza,
Required documents and fee are as follows.
2. Photo ID: valid passport, driver’s license, student ID or birth certificate
3. $30 of registration fee: cash or check payable to Education Division, TECO in Houston
If any accredited organizations or Chinese schools are willing to administer a group test, please contact the Education Division of the Taipei Economic and Culture Office in Houston.
2014 Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language (TOCFL) Guidelines