Scholarship Recipients Visa Information

As a traveler to Taiwan with the purpose of studying, you are required to obtain a proper visa.

Visa Category:
  • Recipients with scholarship period equal to or less than 6 months apply for a multiple-entry Visitor Visa (visa code: FR.) 
  • Recipients with scholarship period more than 6 months apply for a multiple-entry Resident Visa
Required Documents:
1.      Scholarship Certificate issued by Education Division of TECO in Houston.
2.      A certificate of admission.
3.      A completed bar-coded Visa Application printout (https://visawebapp.boca.gov.tw).
4.      A U.S. passport valid for no less than six months.
5.      Two 2x2-inch color photos with a plain color (white color recommended) background taken within the last six months.
6.      Visa processing fee of $160.00
7.     Health certificate issued in the last three months (Resident Visa Application only) form download

If you enter Taiwan with no visa or just a landing visa, you will NOT be allowed to study in Taiwan.

Contact info for Consular Division, TECO in Houston
11 Greenway Plaza, Suite 2015, Houston, TX 77046
Tel: (713) 626-7445; Fax: (713) 626-0990
Email: tecohou@sbcglobal.net
Web: www.taiwanembassy.org/US/HOU/

Changing Your Visa Status
Note : If you were issued a Resident Visa in your home country, you can skip directly to Step 2.

  1. Step 1: Visitor Visa → Resident Visa
Recipients with scholarship period more than 6 months  entered Taiwan on a Visitor Visa have 7 days to change your Visitor Visa to a Resident Visa. To make this change, go to the Bureau of Consular Affairs (BOCA) in Taipei City.
Required Documents:
(Processing time: 7-10 working days)
    • Application form
    • Passport, valid for at least 6 months (original and photocopy of first page)
    • Letter of Admission (original and photocopy)
    • Student ID card (original and photocopy), stamped by the Registration Section of your University.
    • Health certificate issued in the last three months: If you take the medical tests before coming to Taiwan, the certificate must be stamped and verified by a Taiwan Representative Office in your home country; or, if in Taiwan, you must take the medical examination at a designated hospital
    • Certificate of Finances, stamped by Representative Office in home country
    • Two 2-inch color photos with white background taken in the last 6 months
    • Application fee: NT $3,000 (NT $4,900 for holders of American passports)
Bureau of Consular Affairs (BOCA) Taipei Headquarters
Address: 3~5 Fl., 2-2 Chi-Nan Rd., Sec. 1, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Ph: (02) 2343 2888
Website: please click here

Step 2: Resident Visa → Alien Resident Certificate (ARC)
Recipients with scholarship period more than 6 months  entered Taiwan on a Resident Visa. There’s just one step left: changing your Resident Visa to an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC). Remember, you need to make this change at the National Immigration Agency within 15 days of arriving in Taiwan!
Required Documents:
(Processing time: 10 working days)
  • ARC Application form (first time applicants must apply in person)
  • One 2-inch, half-length color photo with white background taken in the last year. In the photo, the applicant must not be wearing a hat.
  • Passport and visa (original and photocopy)
  • Student ID card or Proof of Enrollment certificate (original and photocopy)
  • Application fee: NT $1,000 (one year)

National Immigration Agency
The National Immigration Agency has service centers set up all around Taiwan. If you live in New Taipei City, you must change your visa status from Resident Visa to ARC at the New Taipei City Service Center. If you live in Taipei City, the change must be made at the Taipei City Service Center.

New Taipei City Service Center
Address: No.168-1, Minzu Rd., Banqiao Dist., New Taipei City
Ph: (02) 8964 7960
Website: please click here

Taipei City Service Center
Address: No.15, Guangzhou St., Zhongzheng Dist., Taipei City
Ph: (02) 2388 3929
Website: please click here

For more information,  please link to the Information for Foreigners in Taiwan site.