The purpose of the Ministry of Education (MOE) Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) is to encourage American students and individuals to go study in Taiwan and undertake Mandarin Chinese language training and courses at Chinese language institutes affiliated with universities or colleges in the Republic of China (Taiwan).
1. Each scholarship recipient will receive monthly stipends of 25,000 New Taiwan Dollars (NTD) in conjunction with the duration of scholarship approved.
2. The foreign exchange rate from USD to NTD is estimated at 1 to 29. The actual exchange rate is subject to currency fluctuations.
There are twelve (12) one-year openings available for MOE HES 2022-2023. Eligible applicants from Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas are welcome to submit applications.
1. Each applicant must select the duration of the scholarship for which they will apply. Study periods may vary based on the duration selected, as described below:
Limited to summer courses from June to July, 2022 or from July to August, 2022
Between September 1, 2022 and August 31, 2023 (2022-2023 academic year)
From September 1, 2022 to August 31, 2023 (2022-2023 academic year)
2. The Education Division of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Houston reserves the right to decide the duration of scholarship for successful candidates.
1. Applicants must be American nationals, above the age of eighteen (18), with a high school diploma or higher degree, must have excellent academic records, and must be of good moral character.
2. Applicants are not eligible if they meet any of the following restrictions:
(1) overseas Chinese or nationals of the Republic of China (Taiwan).
(2) students who are currently registered at any universities/colleges or enrolled in Mandarin language training programs in Taiwan.
(3) individuals who received an MOE HES, MOE Taiwan Scholarship in the past.
(4) Individuals who received an TUSA Scholarship in the past. (*HES and TUSA Scholarship are mutually exclusive.)
(5) exchange or dual/joint degree students admitted in accordance with academic cooperation agreements between local universities/colleges and foreign universities/colleges.
(6) individuals who are currently receiving financial benefits from Taiwan government or any educational institutions in Taiwan.
1. Required documents:
(1) a completed HES Application Form 2022-2023, signed and dated by the applicant;
(2) a photocopy of the applicant’s passport or other documents that can verify the nationality of the applicant;
(3) a photocopy of the certificate of the applicant’s highest degree obtained and original academic transcripts from that institution;
Note: Transcripts must be sealed. Transcripts that are issued by international educational institutions must be presented in English language and authenticated by an overseas Representative Office of the Republic of China (Taiwan).
(4) proof of application to language centers in Taiwan (e.g. photocopies of application form, a notice or e-mail from the language centers acknowledging their receipt of the application, etc.);
(5) two letters of recommendation, sealed and signed by the writers;
(6) original “The Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) Terms of Agreement”, signed and dated by the applicant.
(1) Applications shall be submitted between February 1, 2022 and March 31, 2022.
(2) Applicants must directly apply for admission to language centers on the “List of Language Center”. Proof of application for admission to language centers is required for the HES application.
(3) Applications must be sent to the following office and postmarked no later than March 31, 2022 at:
Education Division of TECO in Houston
11 Greenway Plaza, Suite 2012
Houston, TX 77046, USA
(4) All HES applicants will be notified by May 31, 2022 of the selection results.
(6) Two-month scholarship applicants MUST submit a photocopy of the admission letter that is issued by the language center upon their application for the HES.
1. Applications are considered complete when all of the aforementioned required documents have been submitted. Incomplete applications or those missing required documents will be withdrawn from the selection process without further notice to the applicants.
2. Documents will be reviewed during the preliminary selection process and interviews with qualified candidates via internet, telephone, or in person may be required for final selection process.
3. Late applications will not be considered for selection.
1. For further details on the regulations for HES, please refer to the Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) International Student Directions (EN), which can be downloaded at https://taiwanscholarship.moe.gov.tw/web/index.aspx.
2. The application instructions and guidelines are given in Chinese and English and, in the event of any discrepancy, the Chinese version will take precedence over the English text.
For the List of Language Center, please visit https://english.moe.gov.tw/np-18-1.html or https://www.studyintaiwan.org/.
3. Please refer to “Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) International Student Directions” for Terms and Conditions for Recipients, Scholarship Suspension and Cancellation.
4. Program contact:
Education Division of Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Houston
11 Greenway Plaza, Suite 2012
Houston, TX 77046, U.S.A.
5. HES recipients are asked to submit a reflection statement to the Education Division of Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Houston briefly overviewing their experiences upon completion of their time in Taiwan.
6. In response to continued spread of COVID-19 pandemic, all the awardees must follow entry restrictions and quarantine regulations for foreign nationals imposed by the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) and the Ministry of Education. For updated information, please visit Ministry of Foreign Affairs announcement at www.mofa.gov.tw.
- Conducted by the Education Division,
Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) in Houston
Guidelines 👇👇👇‧ Application Instructions and Guidelines for the Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2022-2023_English (Download)
‧ Application Instructions and Guidelines for the Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2022-2023_Chinese (Download)
Application Form 👇👇👇
1-2. The Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) Terms of Agreement (Download)