Application period: February 1, 2017 - March 31, 2017
Our office accepts applications from the following states: Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas. If you are not sure where to submit your application, please check the following website: http://www.tw.org/scholarships/.
- Instructions for Application 2017_English
- Instructions for Application 2017_Chinese
- Application Form 2017
- Application Check List 2017
- Terms of Agreement
- List of Language Centers
- HES Guidelines_Chinese
- HES Guidelines_English
The purpose of the Ministry of Education (MOE) Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) is to encourage American students and individuals to undertake Mandarin Chinese language training and courses at Chinese language institutes affiliated with universities or colleges in the Republic of China (Taiwan).
There are twelve (12) openings available for MOE HES 2017-2018. Each applicant may select from the following durations: 2 months (summer courses), 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, or 12 months. Eligible applicants from Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas are welcome to submit applications.
1. Applicants must be American nationals, above the age of eighteen (18), with a high school diploma or higher degree, must have excellent academic records, and must be of good moral character.
2. Applicants are ineligible if they meet any of the following restrictions:
- overseas Chinese or nationals of the Republic of China (Taiwan);
- students who are currently registered at any universities/colleges or enrolled in Mandarin language training programs in Taiwan;
- individuals who have received an MOE HES or MOE Taiwan Scholarship in the past;
- exchange or dual/joint degree students admitted in accordance with academic cooperation agreements between local universities/colleges and foreign universities/colleges;
- individuals who are currently receiving financial benefits from the Taiwanese government or any educational institutions in Taiwan.
1.Each applicant must select the duration of the scholarship for which they will apply. Study period may vary based on the duration selected, as described below:
- 2 months: Limited to summer courses from June to July, 2017 or from July to August, 2017
- 3 months, 6 months and 9 months: Courses between September 1, 2017 and August 31, 2018 (2017 academic year )
- 12 months: Courses from September 1, 2017 to August 31, 2018 (2017 academic year )
2.The Education Division of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Houston reserves the right to decide the duration of scholarship for successful candidates.
1. Each scholarship recipient will receive monthly stipends of 25,000 New Taiwan Dollars (NTD) in conjunction with the duration of scholarship approved.
2. The foreign exchange rate from USD to NTD is estimated at 1 to 30. The actual exchange rate is subject to currency fluctuations.
1. Required documents:
- a completed HES Application Form 2017-2018, signed and dated by the applicant
- a photocopy of the applicant’s passport or other documents that can verify the nationality of the applicant
- a photocopy of the certificate of the applicant’s highest degree obtained and original academic transcripts from that institution. Note: Transcripts must be sealed and signed/stamped by the institutions that issue the documents. Transcripts that are issued by international educational institutions must be presented in English language and authenticated by an overseas Representative Office of the Republic of China (Taiwan).
- proof of application to language centers in Taiwan (e.g. photocopies of application form, a notice or e-mail from the language centers acknowledging their receipt of the application, etc.)
- two letters of recommendation, sealed and signed by the writers
- original Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Program Terms of Agreement, signed and dated by the applicant
- Applications will be accepted between February 1, 2017 and March 31, 2017.
- Applicants must directly apply for admission to language centers on the List of Language Center. Proof of application for admission to language centers is required for the HES application.
- Applications must be sent to the following office and postmarked no later than March 31, 2017 at:
Education Division of TECO in Houston
11 Greenway Plaza, Suite 2012
Houston, TX 77046, U.S.A.
- All HES applicants will be notified by May 31, 2017 of the selection results.
- Successful candidates must submit a photocopy of the admission letter that is issued by the language center at email@example.com by June 30, 2017.
- Two-month scholarship applicants MUST submit a photocopy of the admission letter that is issued by the language center upon their application for the HES.
3. Program contact:
Education Division of Taipei Economy and Cultural Office in Houston
11 Greenway Plaza, Suite 2012
Houston, TX 77046, U.S.A.
1. Applications are considered complete when all of the aforementioned Required Documents have been submitted. Incomplete applications or those missing required documents will be withdrawn from the selection process without further notice to the applicants.
2. Documents will be reviewed during the preliminary selection process and interviews with qualified candidates via internet or telephone may be required for final selection process.
3. Late applications will not be considered for the selection.
1. The application instructions are given in Chinese and English and, in the event of any discrepancy, the Chinese version will take precedence over the English text.
2. For further details on the regulations for HES, please refer to the Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) International Student Directions.
- For degree study scholarship, please see Taiwan Scholarship 2017 for details.
- 2017 Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language (TOCFL)-HOUSTON
Last update: February 21, 2017